Monday, April 16, 2018

Sew Much Fun Blog Hop - Adding flange to your borders

Welcome to the Sew Much Fun Blog Hop hosted by Faith and Fabric!




I'm going to show you how I add a flange to my binding. This little extra touch can really add a little flare to your project and it's really easy to do. Note, I hand stitch all of my bindings, so this is not for those who machine bind. Sorry, I struggle with machine binding!




You can read about the table runner I added the flange to HERE. It uses fabrics given to me by Island Batik as a part of their ambassador program.




I share how I square up my quilts in my Beginners Unite Series in this post.




I've changed my set up since that post, and am still figuring out how to use my cutting mat in the space I have, but if you have a longer piece to cut, make sure it's not hanging off and pulling it out of alignment.




Once you've squared up your quilt measure the sides and ends.  You will cut out four strips exactly to this size.  For my sides I need to sew two strips together, I did a straight seam, not a diagonal one, but you can do either.




What width do you use for flange? It's going to depend on what size you use for binding. I always use a 2" binding width. Which when all is said and done will give me a 1/4" binding on the front. I need my flange to be wider than 1/4". In the pictures, the flange is pretty thin, this is because I did the math after only 3 hours of sleep. I *highly* recommend not doing that. I ended up cutting it at 3/4 inch instead of 1" inch, but if you are careful, you can make that work. Fold your flange strips, wrong sides together lengthwise, just like you would your binding. (Sorry, I forgot to grab a picture of that step.)




Pin your flange along the longest sides first. I used wonder clips here, because I was working with Batiks, and my pins don't like to go through it very nicely. It should fit perfectly.




Baste these strips on using a long basting strip, making sure to be inside the scant 1/4" inch seam allowance you will be using to attach your binding.




Next sew your flange to the shorter ends, matching them exactly. (Another shot missed.) Once they are all basted on, attach your binding as you normally would. Go HERE to see how I do my bindings. There are helpful videos as well.





When you stitch your binding you will have extra fabric to cover, because of the flange. This will only really be noticeable when you reach the corners. I clip the corner off, carefully, to reduce bulk. The binding still fills up nicely, because there is the added fabric.



Enjoy your beautiful piece with the little added extra.




Happy Stitching!
Jen

Don't forget to hop over to the other bloggers and get their tips for binding!

Karen at Tu-Na Quilts, Travels and Eats
Melva at Melva Loves Scraps

New to Patterns By Jen?

Find paper and digital patterns in my Etsy shop.


The Border Quilt Quilt Along is coming August 2018

Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for daily sneak peeks and updates.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your tips on binding. Have a wonderful day! angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interesting and very helpful tutorial. It will definitely have a place in my Pinterest library as I'm keen to give this a go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished preparing a flange binding. I was thinking of doing it this way but in the end made the fake one. Just because I want to get finished with this quilt. Next time, I'll do it like this so I can control the size of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.